Here's a few reasons to buy/upgrade Workstation 7
- Full native support for ESX(i) 4 in Workstation - Recommendations
- Support for Windows 7 including Aero feature*
- 3D support - DirectX 9.0c, Shader Model 3, and OpenGL 2.13D
- Driverless Printing
- Pause the VM to quickly and temporarily free up resources for other VMs or applications.
- Greater VM resource options
- 4 virtual processors or virtual cores
- 32GB Memory per VM
- SmartCard support
- 256-bit AES Encryption
- Integration with Visual Studio, Eclipse, and the SpringSource Tool Suite
(Hoping that eventually PowerShell Plus or some other PowerShell IDE will integrate)
- More Guest OS Support
- Intel Dual Core, 2.2GHz and above or AMD Athlon 4200+ and above
- nVidia GeForce 8800GT and above or ATI Radeon HD 2600 and above
- At least 3GB of host system memory
- Buy for $189
- Upgrade from Workstation 5.x or 6.x for $99
- Free upgrade if you purchase Workstation 6.5 between October1, 2009 and November 30, 2009.
- Pass VCP for free license.
Workstation 7 Documentation
Free Online Training from VMware
Workstation FAQ page
Duncan Epping beat me to a post on VMware Player 3. Check his post out at http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/10/27/vmware-player-3-0/
Features are pretty comparable.